A big mahalo to the 40 attendees of Hawaii’s first Team Up for School Nutrition Success <http://teamup.theicn.org/> at Camp Homelani on October 11.
Team Up uses a workshop and mentoring model that is based on peer-to-peer assistance.
The group discussed best practices surrounding Increasing Breakfast Participation and Food Safety and some SMART (specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, time-bound) goals school food service managers can work on this school year.
- 7 charter schools
- 16 DOE schools
- School Food Services Branch
- Hawaii Child Nutrition Programs
- Guam DOE
- 4 allied organizations: Kapiolani Community College, Hawaii Appleseed Center for Law & Economic Justice, Hawaii SNA and Hawaii Farm to School.
- Institute of Child Nutrition: Evaluators – Dr. Kristi Lewis and Dr. Marjuyua Lartey from University of Southern Mississippi , Facilitator – Mapuana Weiss from Canyon Grove School, Utah
- USDA: Sheldon Gordon, Chief, Nutrition Training and Operational Support Branch, USDA Food and Nutrition Service
- USDA Western Regional Office: Elizabeth Beechler
A special mahalo to the following peer mentors who received additional training and assisted their colleagues in establishing SMART goals.
Charter School Mentors:
Dorothy Antonio and Kay Hishinuma from Windward Nazarene Academy
Amalie Dorn, Volcano SAS
Philip “Buzz” Burton, Kamalii Elementary
Jeanne Huihui, Kahakai Elementary
Napoleon Kailiawa, Keeau High School
Lillian Mori, Kealakehe Intermediate
Brenda Nagasawa, Kalani High School
Aileen Otani, Keaau Elementary